I'm starting to think that maybe my role in this life is to be a crash test dummy......We awoke after the first night in the RV....exhausted yet exhilarated to begin the trip...and this day, started like every other will....alarm goes off.... April pleads for 5 more minutes...Chris sighs and reluctantly changes the clock, and Rayne hits me until I just get up anyway....Chris remains in bed until "we" are ready.... but, today, it seemed so cold....so I asked Chris, are you sure we have hot water? The reply is always an abrupt...YES.... but it is day 1 and he is willing to roll out of bed to be sure...it is day 1...propane has always caused issues on trips #1 and #2..... so....after turning on the propane...again...he says its ready, "go shower".... reluctantly, I begin the process which both humbles you and makes you realize that it could be so much worse... I prepare for day 1 of the RV shower..... I turn on the hot water....its a little warmer than warm...didn't see the need to even add the cold water.... I figure, this is it, get in....I fumble with the shower nozzle.... shampoo in hair .....all is well......wait, its getting colder.....ugh...its freezing....(ok, there was probably a scream in there and some choice words.....and I do believe a laugh from the peanut gallery.....) and I clenched my teeth (yep, i did...maybe I need an appliance....) and finished my cold shower.....like I said, crash test dummy?!?! You got it....propane was NOT on.... water was only warm because propane had been on a short time.....and, yes, after Chris showered, he said, "I don't know what you are talking about, the water is hot?!?!"..... I don't know why anyone pays a therapist for marriage counseling....spend the money on an RV trip....if you make it home, the marriage works....if you don't....well, that sure solves figuring out where one of you would live.....
We started out the morning with some exercise....off to East Rock Park...looking for the Giant Steps Trail....looking....looking....u-turn...."haven't we been done this road?", "did you give the right address".... envision just the most loving conversation ever when you can't find where you want to be and add a barking dog....now you got the picture!!! We gave up on the trail and headed into the park.... now, keep in mind, this is really day 1.... no, Chris hasn't driven an RV for several years and we are already on narrow windy hills....I suggest parking in a flat area at the bottom of the hill and Chris insists on going for it..... this time we got lucky and found a great spot near the top!!! What a beautiful morning with the leaves changing!!! We head up the hill and meet our first cop.... (if you have followed us before, we always seem to run into cops!!) This time he just wanted to chat about dogs....hold up traffic, and chat about his dogs.... ok, maybe I could do that job??? But, much better than other encounters with police...we move on....get some great photos...do a lot of chatting with others about dogs....and we can call stop #1 a success!!!
Next we head out to visit Yale....Now I know what you are thinking, two PSU grads checking out Yale....could it even compare...um...no.... We've been to Harvard (it is a very nice campus) and now we have been to Yale....bottom line....go to....Penn State!!!! (silly people, would we ever say anything else???) Then it was a quick stop at the UPS (sorry it took so long to return your charger, Matt!!) and then it was time for lunch.....
And on the way, Rayne realized one very valuable lesson...the co-pilot chair is the best seat in the house....Sunny had started there but by this point in the trip, Rayne realized it was first come, first serve....and then Sunshine showed him there is always room for two.....however, three, well, three just don't fit....so, here are "three peas in a pod" as Chris calls us...notice who rides on the floor????
We were off to Chamard Vineyard on Cow Hill Road (how appropriate, right?!?)...but this first required us realizing we are higher than the average car....we don't fit under bridges less than 12 feet....lessons learned....we parked the RV in the middle of the vineyard (literally) and headed in
Is drinking and driving an RC legal in CT?? Ask the man with 6 glasses.....
Lunch was great !!! Now off to Hammonasset Beach State Park.....(which was even better...) Sunny and Rayne haven't been to the beach for awhile, but they sure made up for it rather quickly.... once they were off of those leashes, the bird chasing and swimming began....perfect dog day!!! (unless you count having to clean them off and all of the clumps of sand in their hair....) By the end, Sunny looked like she could barely walk .....(she is 84....I did not see many 84 year olds chasing Seagulls like Sunny!!!)
The day was getting late and Chris insisted we make one more city so off to Mystic, CT, we went.....We arrived a little late so we got a discount to go see Mystic Seaport (those of you who know us would realize this was just the right amount of time for us.... ) We are not good listeners and like to see the highlights.... so, when we stopped into the shop where they make weapons for whaling, Chris asked "so what do you do in here?"....(the sign clearly read whaling weapons, but Chris was trying to be polite...) and the man said.... "Let's start back in 18..... we heard nothing else from that point on.... we had an hour....we knew we were not going to catch up on 200+ years in this amount of time.... so there were a few smiles, some head nodding, and some backing up to the door....yep, the highlight of this educational area is below:
We checked out the shops at Mystic Village, took a photo of "Mystic Pizza", grabbed lobster rolls at Captain Scott's Lobster Dock (saw some more police and a lot of handcuffs...) then it was time to head to Newport, RI.... (but, we did get to catch some great photos of the "Hunter's Moon").....







No comments:
Post a Comment