Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Good Morning America: Sunrise 6:54 AM (Bar Harbor, ME to Lubec, ME)



It’s time to get up in the morning, and get up early we did…. in order to see the “first” sunrise in America we were up well before sunrise to travel up Cadillac Mountain in Acadia National Park….


It was....COLD!!! Cadillac Mountain is the highest peak on the US Atlantic Coast and look at how wonderful it was……







Once the sun came up, it was time to get breakfast….to Two Cats we went…..all of the cat lovers out there would love this place…they have cat decorations everywhere,  as well as ….two cats!!! (I didn’t think it was appropriate to bring 2 dogs with us this time!!!) Breakfast was yummy!!!


In downtown Bar Harbor, they don’t seem to like RV’s parked on the streets….I think it is a “looks” kind of thing….but since it is off season, and was before 8 AM, we did it anyway….



Once we were finished with breakfast, we decided to make a dash for the land bridge with the RV in place (otherwise RV parking was on the other end of town and we had a busy day ahead….) Chris didn’t seem to understand what all the hype was about…and Chris was COLD!!! So a quick jaunt down to see it, walk across it, and back we came….


"I'm cold...let's go!!"

Park Loop Road was next on the list….the views were incredible!!!




(don't even ask what was required to get this photo...)


First we went down to Sandy Beach first…you know Rayne and the water…. 





And then took to the steps to do the Ocean Path…..




We checked Thunder Hole…. (minus the thunder…it was low tide…)….


And Otter Point….




And then I see this….


Yep, that’s right…the RV is 12’ 6” and we were heading for a bridge that was 11’6”….um… I don’t think we are going to fit… plus this is a one way road….maybe we could sacrifice the air conditioner??? So this is where the trip begins….

Never fear…Chris is here and wanted to point out that he found the last road possible to get by the bridge WITHOUT having to back up (or get towed out of the park) Now if only he could have figured this out BEFORE he gave me (and himself) a heart attack!!! 

One nice shout out to Chris, though…. Instead of espn while touring the park, he did put on “soft music” so we could enjoy the sights….THANK GOD—I know more about Miami’s fines NOT imposed by the NCAA than I ever needed to know….(yet, this is all they talk about…day after day…after day…poor USC….. (come on now, poor PSU!!!)  Plug for the movie here—new trailer coming out soon 365 Days !!!

We continued to check out the park……



And then decided it was time for some tea and popovers at Jordan Pond…..


Chris didn’t think he would be a fan of popovers but I soon heard him asking for seconds….I had some blueberry tea to go with mine but Chris had seafood chowder with his….yummy!!



Now we had come to a fork in the road….stay at Acadia one more night and check out more of the park and do the Bee Hive or head north to the Bay of Fundy…..(ok to be honest here, we were up at 4:45 AM…we really just wanted to go to sleep!!!) We chose head north…we truly have ADD and can’t stay in one place for too long….but first one last trail with the dogs around Jordan’s Pond…. At this point I had to give Sunny some pain meds…she looked like we were killing her…Rayne heard there was water and he was ready to go…..






Time to hit the open road and head north to Lubec, ME…..more ESPN…ugh!!! But, I was frantically searching for somewhere for us to stay…anywhere….but guess what… after Oct 12…RV parks close…yep, that’s right….CLOSE…. (now some would say this is a reason to do your homework BEFORE you leave, but Chris would disagree… he said we are way more productive this way…I am writing this blog, so we did find a place….just no wifi to send it….but we do have cable so Chris is smiling…)

No answers with the RV calls…onward we went anyway….the more north we got…the less in touch we became…cell service goes away and it gets….COLDER….we found sunrise park in Lubec, ME, and it looks like we can stay (who knows, no one is here, so we have made an executive decision….) and guess what? They say they are the most eastern city in the US and they see the sunrise first….here we go again…”the first thing” ….. I can guarantee you, I won’t be the first to see it tomorrow am…I’m exhausted….and I sure hope these dogs make it back….



We asked the neighbors where to eat and they sent us to Uncle Kitt’s….fish and chips…the real win was wifi so we could partially plot our course for tomorrow…. Going to see how it is to cross the border with two dogs… 

*Please note we are having spotty cell and wifi service...doing our best to update the blog but this one post just took me three hours......check back later for more....

No comments:

Post a Comment