Thursday, October 24, 2013

Off The Beaten Path, eh?.....(Lubec, ME to Alma, New Brunswick, Canada)


Today was the day we decided to make a run for it….Time to cross the border….

Lubec, Maine

Campbello, Canada

The dog’s first trip to another country!!! (ok, I know, it’s just Canada, but my quest for my dogs to see it ALL continues…) My only fear was what I had read on the internet--the internet has such a wealth of info…never good, though, it seems…. So I decided that if they took them, I was not leaving until I got them back (yep, you wouldn’t believe some of the stories I read) ….Here we go…..

Our first test came at Campbello…. President Roosevelt’s summer home….we crossed the bridge to Canadian customs….”so you have one dog on board with you?” ….its funny, no one can really see into this RV….what’s even funnier is they think one dog can bark that much!!! Because its off season (only good season to ever travel with dogs) the guy pretty much said, go ahead….now only if we could stay in Canada from here without re-crossing the border…We checked out the grounds and some of the walking paths…. (Seems this was a lot nicer in the times of FDR….when people had an overabundance of money to go away for a few months….my next goal!!!)

FDR summer house

hmmm....USA or Canada???

inside the summer cottage....

the grounds

Now it was time to go back to the USA…..as we pulled up to the white line we were motioned into the parking area...our first visitor to the RV—a US Customs officer…with a gun!!! Sunny is going to love this one!!!  After several questions about firearms, alcohol, drugs, where we had been (come on, it’s a small island with only the FDR home on it…) he had to check out the bathroom…guess he had to go??? Then he said, ok you are free to go….back to ME to drive further up to cross again…. (Chris was not a big fan of going to our next destination, but Paula assured me we had to check it out, so off we went…)

Now was the real customs test….we sat in a line on yet another bridge waiting for our chance to get into Canada…again….


This time it was  a little more challenging…we were asked if we had been in Canada before….uh, yes….when??? Really? Chris just turned 40 and I can’t remember yesterday (hence the real reason for the blog…) how do they really expect us to remember this??? And yes, he sat there and waited while we tried to figure it out…I’m sure he had it there on his computer screen, couldn’t he given us some type of security question to prompt our memories??? We may have crossed for Erik’s wedding….did we? How long ago was this? The guy didn’t seem amused…. We were in toronto before we had sunshine…uh, at least 12 years ago...???? ok, he said just pick how many years you think it had been….5….??? he shook his head, onto the next question…..where are you going? Bay of Fundy…..we passed that one!! How long…2-3 days…..2/2……who is in the RV…my wife and I….and one dog? No, 2……I need to be able to see her at all times…..I stand up…more barking now….. do you have papers for these dogs….yes….we hand him Rayne’s papers (he goes to the vet practically every other week so I had these readily available) and gave him my phone to see the email version of Sunshine’s….how old are they? Uh…read those papers I just gave you 11 and 12….are they vaccinated for rabies….again…why did you need those papers for??? I hand him their rabies tags….shouldn’t these be on the dogs??? Ok at this point I wanted to say, do you want me to hand you the dogs, too??? But I was a little too nervous…too many questions….Finally after several other questions, he said, "Welcome to Canada!!!"

We drove route 1 and took a brief tour of St. Andrews……another place the wealthy came in the hay day for the summers…..



Then onto St. John…..



are we home yet???


At this point, we have no map, no directions, and no clue…trying to navigate with my phone (which is on its last leg…and I was told by chris  (not very politely) at least 1000 times, “I told you to get a new phone before this trip”….heck if I had that kind of time, I would have!!!....ugh!!!) We tried to find this little café….and then after about 20 min found a park we could stop at to try to make the phone work better….I left Chris to the phone and I let the dogs out….mistake #1…strange people exist everywhere….while getting out of the RV this man opens his window and says, why are you here this time of year? We are just doing some sightseeing (dogs barking loudly and out of control…you would have thought this would deter him…) I just keep walking….dogs are going crazy, I turn around, and here comes the  guy running after me….ok, this is not what I signed up for…”hey, are you showing those dogs?”…..I stop, don’t want to get out of Chris’s sight (although I think he is just looking at that darn phone!!!)…No, just visiting….where are you headed?….not sure….how long are you going to be here?….leaving now…..who is with you?….ok, yes, you are creepy and I don’t know what you want….yep, looking into concealed weapons permit when I get back…..he just keeps on talking and getting uncomfortably closer and then he pulls up his sleeve  (so I’m thinking this is it, I’m going to be killed in Canada?!?  My plan was a heart attack….why can’t we just stick to the plan??) and he starts to show me his arm where he was electrocuted while working underground on the pipeline (or something like that, I truly wasn’t listening) and went on to say he has a $20 million  lawsuit against the government…..Look buddy, I’m not looking to make any new friends on this trip…. GO AWAY!!! I simply say, good luck, hope you win and at this point I begin to take off with the dogs toward the rv….I don’t know if they peed or not, but I sure came close…..its time to go!!!!

At this point, I’m hungry, a little concerned this guy might follow us and kill us and Chris is pretty grumpy because of my phone….today’s lunch was thanks to McDonalds…..let’s get the h--- out of St. John…..as we enjoyed our fries (they truly are the best fries…) Chris agreed to one stop at Signal Hill for some photos of the city and then it was time to go (we were so far behind already)…But, as you have already guessed…..my phone took us to some warehouse…..let’s just go and forget this ever happened…..luckily, on our way out, we did run into another park and did get some photos…..



they really are one dog....



Oh no....looks like killing is really something they do here……


Maybe we can enlist some help……who should we pick???

Sunshine???

or Rayne???

No way, my bet is on this giant creature.....

Ok, now it was time to move on in search of our next destination….The Fundy National Park and Hopewell Rocks….As we approached the National Park we realized we were definitely the ONLY ones out here….and out here is an understatement…. But we did find that the headquarter’s campsite was open (well, the gate was open at least) so we would at least have somewhere to stay for the night….should we attempt Hopewell Rocks tonight to see it close to high tide and then come back in the am to see it at low tide???? When you race the sun in an RV, you never know what could happen…

Wide open road.... (minus a few dead bugs on the windshield...)

or.....

roadblock.....

I think we are getting close to Fundy National Park....looks like someone has it all set up for us....

now if only we had the time to sit and relax, overlooking.....

the Bay of Fundy


Whew, we made it….and just in time!! High tide had happened on our way, but it is what it is…..

Like closed signs will stop us now....

Hopewell Rocks under water....

it's getting darker but that bay is full of water.....

We better make a run for it, there is water everywhere....

Time to get out of here....the bay is full of water and we have lost the sun....time for some pizza with a few friends in Alma (only place open...really)....



and then to bed.....

No comments:

Post a Comment